Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... 08:59 - May 24 with 748 viewsBellevue_Blue

What Kieran has done these last two years is amazing, what Maresca did for large parts of last year was brilliant.

How is it though that two Premier League novices are in contention for two of the biggest jobs in the country, yet four proven Premier League managers all still in their mid 40's are not even considered?

To even be considered for one of these jobs in the last 2-10 years ago you had to have an exceptional European track record or have had considerable success in the Premier League?

I know it's largely power-related but it's mad to see this trend materialising!
Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:04 - May 24 with 698 viewsNutkins_Return

I think it's largely down to the new methods etc proving out over more existing, older school methods. On one hand it's basically 'in vogue' but it's shown to work and I think the concern is not being last to the table to get guys coaching in this style, method etc. it's interesting for sure. People are looking for the next Pep to be ready to take advantage when Pep walks I think.

Whether it's the right move or not time will tell. But you are right these guys would not have been in consideration 5+ years back so early on there career. Worth noting that's not the case elsewhere in Europe where inexperienced coaches get big jobs quicker it seems.
Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:20 - May 24 with 617 viewsitfcserbia

Interesting view. Maybe having in mind how and what Man Utd and Chelsea have done with their managers over the last 10 years, could this be, from their perspective, scraping the barrel? Could it be a lot of potential managers are now refusing these jobs because of such dysfunctional environments? Especially having in mind that now smaller clubs established in PL also have sufficient financial power to reward good managers, so the money difference maybe is not that huge any more? Only guessing here ofc

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:24 - May 24 with 589 viewsRozz

Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:04 - May 24 by Nutkins_Return

I think it's largely down to the new methods etc proving out over more existing, older school methods. On one hand it's basically 'in vogue' but it's shown to work and I think the concern is not being last to the table to get guys coaching in this style, method etc. it's interesting for sure. People are looking for the next Pep to be ready to take advantage when Pep walks I think.

Whether it's the right move or not time will tell. But you are right these guys would not have been in consideration 5+ years back so early on there career. Worth noting that's not the case elsewhere in Europe where inexperienced coaches get big jobs quicker it seems.

I don't think it's as far as 5 years. This is really only happening for the first time right now.

It really is exceptional for ANY Premier League club to recruit a manager with no experience beyond the Championship. Even Crystal Palace, who were seriously interested in McKenna, ended up hiring a Europa League winner with Champions League experience.

Maresca and McKenna benefit from their coaching experience at City and United, but I'm still amazed that their stock is high enough that they're being seriously linked to jobs of this scale.

Consider that United's players famously found McKenna dull and uninspiring 2 years ago. It's an enormous gamble if it does prove to come to fruition.
Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:31 - May 24 with 545 viewspointofblue

I think it shows that the stories surrounding De Zerbi definitely come from his success last season rather than this, considering Brighton finishes on the same number of points as Bournemouth this year, and nothing is being said about Iraola.

Kompany being linked to Bayern Munich is similar, even if they do seem to be taking the approach of throwing darts at a board.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:31 - May 24 with 542 viewsEuropablue

It's getting in early on a trajectory. We did the same thing when hiring KM in the first place. KM is clearly a special manager/coach and Maresca has the Pep association and got promotion with Leicester under difficult circumstances.
Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:54 - May 24 with 459 viewsBellevue_Blue

Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:31 - May 24 by Europablue

It's getting in early on a trajectory. We did the same thing when hiring KM in the first place. KM is clearly a special manager/coach and Maresca has the Pep association and got promotion with Leicester under difficult circumstances.

What have Mckenna/ Maresca done to suggest their trajectory is different to those 4 mentioned?

We have no idea if Mckenna is better than those four, none at all. All of them have proven they can succeed in the Premier League to varying degrees.

Iraola is three years older than McKenna, got a promotion in Spain, kept them up for successive years and just guided Bournemouth to their highest-ever finish in his first season in charge. He has a much much better CV, that is a fact.
Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 10:09 - May 24 with 405 viewsWeekender

Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 09:31 - May 24 by Europablue

Did a lot of this start with Arteta?

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Prem Pathway | O'Neil, Iraola, Silva, Howe .... on 10:20 - May 24 with 371 viewsGuthrum

Howe already has a pretty decent Prem position, Newcastle only finished a place below Chelsea.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024